Sunday, November 25, 2012

style guide: travel outfit



okay, here it is. piece by piece, this is my favorite travel outfit. and as you will learn, i absolutely love fashion, art, and anything design related--and my style is fairly simple. you'll notice that i tend to stick to solids or classic patterns. my goal is an effortless, simple class. i veer away from anything too trendy or extremely loud patterns. it's just not me.

okay, so obviously being comfortable while traveling is important (especially on these long international plane rides--they can be brutal) and  i've found that this combo works wonders for me and here's why...

the denim button-down is a staple of the ensemble. it's stylish, loose fitting and warm (which i love for long flights--because i'm always freezing on airplanes). my favorite denim is from nordstrom, and it's probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me. my husband gives me a hard time about how much i wear my denim tops. really though, i love them more than i should.

leggings are my fave. especially these ones. simply vera black leggings found at kohls. they don't stretch-out weird by the end of the day, they're just thick enough for cold days, and fit very comfortably. (i'm kind of a legging-snob. serious though, i hate when they get to loose by the end of the day or bunch around my knees, or look see-threw when you bend over--these are definitely my favorite)

forever 21 has leggings that fit nice as well--they're only like five bucks but they tend to fade quicker.

and boots, of course. every girl needs a boot she can trust. husband just bought me these pretty-in-camel-lookers for my birthday while we were out in london. the selection of boots at topshop was unreal, and after an hour of trying on just about every one-- these lil' beauties won my heart. (haven't been to topshop---well, you're in for a treat. i love them and i hate them. it's a torn relationship. dreamy selection of clothes with not-so-dreamy of prices. and i'm a tj maxx/nordstrom rack/sale rack kinda girl, so i struggled with how expensive they are--but i could dream about them for hours without end)

why? i fell in love with the riding flare that the side buckle adds, but also like a little bit of a heal, because it allows me to feel a little more dressed up without really trying. even a small heal makes a boot more versatile. these ones look great with jeans, leggings or skirts/dresses.

top these basics off with a eye-catching scarf (personally i'm obsessed with infinity scarves--i love how you don't have to re-adjust or tie them--they just stay snug around the neck providing extra warmth and style)-- one of my favorites is the one shown above from forever 21.

and then i just add my favorite h&m parka for additional warmth when needed. i like the parka, because it rolls up easily and i can pack it away nicely when i need to. some of my other coats do not hold up so well when folded/rolled or awkward squeezed into a suitcase. this one has truly stood the test of the fashion-conscious traveler.

okay, so there you have it.

who out there has some other great fashion-travelling tips? i'm still new to this, and  i'd seriously love to hear them!

 

4 comments:

  1. kristen! i am wondering how-the-h do you pack for all of your trips? i am a terrible packer and have the hardest time knowing what to pack, how to pack, and how to deal with liquids when you carry on - is it weird that i have too many liquids for a quart size bag? i'm excited to hear/read about tips you have discovered in all your worldly travels, i'm sure you've got some great ones!

    ps - i love your new blog! i love this outfit, so effortlessly chic. and i am seriously so jealous of your jet setting life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige! Girl, you're the cutest. Thank you so much! And truthfully, learning to pack has been one of the toughest parts of travelling so much! I obviously want to look cute--because these pictures we take are pictures that I will have forever, but it's definitely hard. The best tip that I have as of now--is pack whatever is MOST important to you and that you know you will wear the most! (One of the reasons leggings and a denim top are on the top of my list ha ha) As for liquids, I try and take smaller ones to keep with me--and any of my bigger bottles I just pack in my checked bag--however, most the time I try to just buy new shampoo/conditioner wherever I go, because it adds SO much weight and I need all the weight I can get with those weight limits ha!

    I hope you are doing well! We need to reconnect sometime and grab lunch or something! Hope life's treating you peachy :) You've always been such a beauty!

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about when you're traveling in the summertime or to a summertime-place? Do you still go with the riding boots and leggings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just go light-weight! That's the best tip. My biggest mistake was packing really heavy/thick items. Also, stick with items that you are able to mix-match. I am planning for Costa Rica in May, and I'm just going to go as simple and light-weight as possible.

    Are you going somewhere soon!? Hope it's fun!!!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete