Friday, August 29, 2014

just call me mama.


Confession: I sweat more now than ever before.

Like, a lot.

Does anyone know what that's all about? Other moms of the world--is it a breastfeeding thing? Maybe just the heightened stress/anxiety levels combined with the ups and downs of being a new mom? Or perhaps I'm just a freak...

Whatever it is, I sweat like all-the-time (granted these Houston summers aren't helping anything)

Just a perk of mommy life.

And as long as we're on the topic, my sofa has a thing or two to add because it's been stained more in the last eight weeks then ever before--stains of all shapes and colors and persistence. Thank heavens we paid to have the thing sprayed with a fabric guard when we purchased it.

Oh, and don't tell him--but I've been super grateful my husband has no sense of smell (long story short--he lost his sense of smell after being punched unconscious outside a San Francisco club on St Patrick's Day two years ago...yeahhhhh....wrong place wrong time type of deal-ee-o) but it actually turned out to be a blessing for him because by the end of the day these days I smell so weird, like a combo of sweet milk, baby puke, and sweaty salty body.

Mmmmm yum, right?

Makeup has become just a five letter word. My hair root growth is about five weeks past due. I have perma-dark-bags under my eyes, and am constantly starving (BF-ing probz. Legit, all I want to eat is peanut butter and very large burritos. I am hungry all.the.time.)

Oh, and while pregnant I would constantly wear my husbands x-large American Apparel t-shirt's...and now I just can't seem to break the habit!

Their soft roominess is completely addicting.

Anyways, I think you get the picture. Things are the anti-sexy around mi casa these days. Eight weeks into this whole parenting thing--we're still trying to figure it all out.

The other night I was lying in bed and asked my husband if he missed the old "sexy" us--as I labeled it.

Cause I won't lie--I have moments when I think about those days. The days of the selfish us. The days of plentiful gym time, night-outs on the town, dressing up, doing what we want when we want...sweating a normal healthy amount, rugs that aren't stained by baby poop and my stomach that doesn't have a weird hormone line running down the middle.

He responded, "No."

"I wouldn't give this up or go back for anything."

Gosh, I love that man.

That right there is one of the first reasons I knew I would marry him; he has always be so confident in what he wants and desires...and he doesn't look back. He lives in the present and plans for the future.

He knows what we had was good. It was real, real good. It was a young and alive kind of good.  But what we have now...what we have now is so so much better.

We created a tiny person. A beautiful little girl that's a bit of him and a bit of me and all together is her own quirky, spectacular self.

I'll take the intense sweating, heightened stress levels, weird smells and stained clothing for just one of her contagiously perfect smiles.

We'll deal with the lack of sleep, fussy spells, and 4 a.m. wake-up calls for the overwhelming joy when I watch her peacefully sleep.

Her sweet disposition and chubby cheeks are sent straight from heaven.

Our life is no longer about us. It's about our child.

So, just call me mama. Because that's me now--for the rest of forever.

...and I wouldn't have it any other way.



 

1 comment: