I made these corn cakes for Sunday dinner last week. They were to die for. I also added some cilantro lime chicken and sliced avocado. Instructions below.
Summer Corn Cakes with Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa
Adapted from “Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen”
Makes about 12 large cakes; serves 6 to 8
- 3 EARS CORN, SHUCKED
- 1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1/2 CUP CORNMEAL (IF YOU CAN ONLY FIND CORNMEAL MIX, SKIP THE BAKING POWDER.)
- 1/4 CUP DICED RED ONION
- 1/4 CUP THINLY SLICED FRESH BASIL
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 2 LARGE EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- 2 TABLESPOONS WELL-SHAKEN BUTTERMILK
- 2 TABLESPOONS UNSALTED BUTTER, MELTED
- CANOLA OIL, FOR FRYING
- CHOPPED TOMATO AND AVOCADO SALSA (RECIPE FOLLOWS)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a brown paper bag.
- Cut the corn from the cobs into a large bowl, and scrape the stripped cobs with the back of the knife (or a spoon) to release the juices into the bowl.
- Place 2 cups of the corn kernels into a food processor, and pulse several times, until the corn is slightly pureed but still chunky. Scrape into the bowl with the remaining corn kernels.
- Add flour, cornmeal, onion, basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper to the corn. Stir to mix.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and butter, and stir just to combine. (Do not overmix.)
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add just enough canola oil to barely cover the bottom, and heat until sizzling hot.
- One heaping tablespoon at a time, scoop the batter into the skillet. Cooking in batches of 4 to 5 to avoid overcrowding, fry the cakes 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Drain on the lined baking sheet, and place in the oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining corn cakes. Serve warm topped with a heap of Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa.
Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 LARGE TOMATO, CORED AND CHOPPED
- 1 SCALLION, TRIMMED AND MINCED
- 1/2 JALAPENO PEPPER, CORED, SEEDED AND DICED
- 1 TABLESPOON CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
- 1 TABLESPOON CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE, MINCED
- JUICE OF 1/2 LIME
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS WHITE WINE VINEGAR
- SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
- 1 AVOCADO, PEELED, PITTED AND DICED
- Place all of the ingredients (except the avocado) in a bowl, and stir to mix. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve, for up to 2 days.
- Just before serving, add the avocado, and mix gently.